Thursday, June 14, 2018

A Cookery Wedding for Juli and Alex in Durham, NC


 I was so excited to play for Juli, Alex and their guests at The Cookery in Durham on June 10th!  They both work there, so when I was asked to DJ their wedding I was so honored!  They have heard every DJ in the area.

The ceremony was held in the back garden and I provided mics for their officiant, Elvis Woody and well as one on Alex.  I also handled the music.  The wedding party walked down the aisle to The Beatles song “In My Life” performed by Jake Shimabukuro.  Juli & her Father walked down to “Here Comes The Sun” by The United Guitar Players. After a short ceremony with hand written vows, they recessed to “You’re My Best Friend” by Queen.  I invited the 120 guests inside for the cocktail hour. The guests were more than happy to go in and get out of the heat.

The cocktail hour was in the front room of The Cookery and I had a mix of classic standards and big band playing. Juli & Alex are really good swing dancers, so this was perfect (as were my black & white wingtips I wore for them).  After pics & video were done by Liz from Heirloom Collective & Bradley Reynolds, I invited the guest to the new ballroom for dinner and dancing with help from planners A Swanky Affair.

I introduced the wedding party to “Best Of My Love” and Juli & Alex to “Bring Em Out”. Yes!!!  They welcomed everyone and thanked them for coming followed by a blessing by Alex’s cousin Jay.  The salads were already out and I went into a dinner playlist similar to cocktails. The Durham Catering buffet soon opened in the middle of the room.  After dinner we had the toasts, a fun shoe game and the Two Roosters Ice Cream truck opened outside.

We had the first dance and parents dances before opening the dance floor to everyone. Juli & Alex had their dance to the 2016 acoustic version of “Baby I Love Your Way” by Peter Frampton.  I loved the original version of this, but may even love this more!  Juli’s Father joined her for their dance to a mix I did of “The Way You Look Tonight” by Sinatra and then “Givin It Up” by Delbert McClinton.  They had a blast dancing to them.  Alex & his Mother danced to “I Hope You Dance” after that. I invited the married couples to th
e floor for a shared dance with Juli & Alex to “Say You Won’t Let Go” with the longest married couple at 46 years!  Some Motown and top 40 kept everyone on the floor.  The floor was packed all night to oldies, top 40, 2000’s pop sings and even some hip-hop at the end of the night.

We ended the night with “New York, New York” and a ribbon wand exit right before the rain came. Thank you Juli, Alex and Amanda!! I had a blast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment