Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Emily & Timothy wedding at The Cotton Room in Durham

I never met Emily and Timothy until the day of the reception at The Cotton Room in Durham on September 20th, 2014, but followed Emily on Facebook and knew she was a very excited bride!  She was in great hands with Katie Dunn from La Fete as her wedding planner, Robert Pettus from RDP3 as videographer & photographers Brett & Jessica Donar.  Their ceremony was at The UNC Coker Arboretum.  Guests came to The Cotton Room directly after and were treated to an Ipod mix Timothy had made of Motown and rock with a lot of Mayer Hawthorne (one of my favorites).  Emily and Timothy joined for the last ½ of the cocktail hour and guests started making their way to their tables. 

I introduced Emily and Timothy to a loop of the beginning of Otis Redding’s “That’s How Strong My Love Is” and they made their way to the dance  They took their seats after and Emily’s parents welcomed everyone and said the blessing.  The family style dinner came out and I started a mix of standards and Motown.  Towards the end of dinner, we had 4 toasts and the Sugarland cake cutting to Al Green’s “Love & Happiness”.
floor to have their first dance to the song.

Emily joined her father on the floor for their dance.  I started with 30 seconds of “Rhapsody In Blue” because it is United Airline’s theme song and the Families official airlines, then mixed into Bill Wither’s “Lovely Day”.  What a great and unique dance for them!  Timothy then joined his mother on the floor and danced to “High Tide & Low Tide” by Bob Marley for a minute, then I invited everyone to join them, which they all did!  I opened the floor to everyone with “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” and it stayed filled for the next 2 hours.  I kept them dancing with some oldies, lots of 2000’s R&B and Hip-Hop and some current dance music.  I even got to play Robyn!


We stopped briefly for a group picture with all the UNC alumni with James “Laid” playing in the background and everyone singing along.  I LOVE that song!  The night ended with UNC’s theme “Jump Around” and then into “Gimme Some Lovin’”, but the guests weren’t ready to leave yet.  I played “Good Lovin” by The Rascals and “Shout” to end the night and send home.  Guests grabbed popcorn and water as they left.  What a fun reception and a great couple!!!  I had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment