Monday, August 7, 2017

A Thai Wedding Reception at The Carolina Inn

Fon and Colin were married earlier in Bangkok. They live and work in Singapor. They already had one reception in Thaiand, but wanted to have another for their American friends and family at The Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill.  I was a little nervous to play after their DJ there had a crazy karaoke party going on for them!

The cocktail hour was held in the hallway and I had a mix of classic soul, rock and standards playing.  The 160 guests made their way into the ballroom after pictures were taken by photographer Mary McLean. Kathy from Sally Oakley Events did an awesome job getting everyone to their tables.  I introduced the wedding party to “Shape Of You” and Fon and Colin to “Something Just Like This”.  They came to the floor for one of the most special moments I have ever seen at a wedding!  Fon’s Bridesmaid Lalita sang “Thinking Out Loud” while they had their first dance.  It was just beautiful and was one of the highlights of the reception for me.

After that the wedding party took their seats ad Colin welcomed everyone.  His Father and Sister came up and did a mock “Newlywed Game” with them. Ummm, I think they got 1 answer right.  But, it was a lot of fun and you can tell they adore each other!  Maggie Silton blessed the meal and the appetizers and salads came out before the buffet opened.  During dinner I had a mix of love songs playing.

After dinner they showed a video of the wedding in Thailand and then had the toasts and Nantucket Grill cake cutting to “Latch” by Disclosure.  I LOVE that song!  I opened the floor with some Motown but when I mixed into top 40 the floor filled and stayed that way for the next 2 hours.  I played a lot of top 40 / dance music and some 80’s for the older guests. The last half hour was a Fon karaoke party where she was singing along with every song into the mic and passing it around. So great!!  I ended the night with “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “Sweet Caroline”.  But, they weren’t ready to leave yet, so I played “In The Ayer” by Flo Rida before inviting guests to Spanky’s for the after party.


What a fun night and amazing crowd to play for!  Thank you Fon, Colin, Betsy and Kathy and congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment