Monday, June 12, 2017

A Washington Duke Inn Wedding in Durham

Meredith and Dan are such a nice couple and I was thrilled to be their wedding DJ at The Washington Duke Inn on June 10th!  I was also very excited to work with Angie from The Inn, photographers Jenn and James Walters, planner Amanda Scott from A Swanky Affair  and florist Watered Garden!

After a short ceremony at Duke Chapel, the 100 guests made their way across campus to the Washington Duke Inn for the cocktail hour and reception.  The cocktail hour was held in the hall outside of the ballroom and I had a mix of classic soul ,soft rock and standards playing.  As the social hour was ending the doors to the ballroom opened and I invited guests to find their seats.  I left music playing and went out to line up the wedding party with help from Amanda.

They were introduced into the room to “I Believe In A Thing Called Love” by The Darkness (LOVE that song!!!) and Meredith & Dan to “This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)”.  They came to the floor and had their first dance to a live version of Roberta Flack’s hit “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face”.  I love that song a lot, but may like this version even better! They took their seats and Meredith’s Father welcomed everyone.  The salads and entrees came out and I had the same music mix playing.

After dinner we had the toasts and cake cutting to “L.O.V.E.” by Nat King Cole and then was the epic Father/Daughter dance!!!  It started with “Unforgettable” by Natalie & Nat King Cole.  After a minute Dan & his Mother joined them for the remainder of the song.  The song faded out and they left the floor..BUT, it wasn't done.  a record scratch sound effect caught everyone off guard and then I went into a medley of “The Twist”, “Thriller”, “Bye, Bye,Bye” and “The Wobble” that I made special for them.  Then, went into the ending of  “Carolina In My Mind” to finish it out.  Her Father was such a great sport and was having a blast!  You could tell he practiced it and did a great job.  I invited all the married couples to the floor for an anniversary dance to “Can’t Help Falling In Love” with Dan’s Grandparents winning.  I opened the floor to everyone with Motown and Top 40 that filled it for the next 2 hours.

I ended the night with “Sweet Caroline” and finally “At Last” by Etta James.  They made an exit down the hall to wedding wands before the after party at Alivia’s in downtown Durham.  What a fun night and great crowd to DJ for!  Thank you Meredith & Dan and congratulations.


DJ Randy Bennett  www.bunndjcompany.com/RandyB

Photo courtesy of James Walters Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment