Wednesday, August 15, 2018

A Merrimon Wynne Wedding For Carolyn and Lowell

When I saw Lowell and Carolyn walk up to me at the Merrimon Wynne wedding showcase last year I was praying they would have me as their wedding DJ!  I have known Lowell for years from when I was a swing dance DJ and he was a dancer.  I knew this would be an awesome party with lots of friends I don’t see very much.

Their ceremony was on the side lawn and I provided mics and music.  The Parents entered to “I’ve Got A Crush On You” by Ella Fitzgerald and Lowell through Bridesmaids to “At Last”.  The perfect song since they have been together for years.  Carolyn entered to a shortened edit I made her of “My One And Only Love” by John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman.  I LOVE that song (whole album!!). After a short ceremony with a couple readings, they recessed to the gospel song “Up Above My Head” by Rhiannon Giddens.

The guests made their way inside the house to escape the heat and get refreshments.  During the cocktail hour I had a mix of classic soul, big band, soft rock, ska, and a couple swing tracks playing.  It was an awesome playlist!!  After pics were taken by amazing photographer Autumn Harrison, planner Amanda from Amanda Blair By Design invited guests to the carriage house for dinner and dancing.  The room looked beautiful with floral arrangements by Bowerbird Flowers.

I introduced just Carolyn and Lowell to “Superbad” by James Brown (hahaha) and they danced into the room for their now second dance, this time swing, to “My Baby Just Cares For Me” by Nina Simone. Their fathers welcomed everyone and RJ blessed the meal.  During the Snap Pea served dinner I had a mix of standards, big band, 80’s, rock and classic soul playing.  

After dinner we had the toasts and parents dances to “My Girl”. I opened the floor to everyone with some classic Motown, “The Electric Slide” and ever  “Before I Let Go” by Maze (another of my fav songs ever!). For the next 2 hours guests danced to oldies, some swing (of course), rockabilly, lots of 80’s and a few ballads.

We ended the night with “Still The One” by Shania Twain before the rickshaws arrived to take people to an after party.  Thank you so much Carolyn, Lowell, Amy and Amanda!!  It was an absolute honor and I had the best time!

Photo courtsey of Autumn Harrison Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment