Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Kara & Graham’s reception at The Carolina Inn with Scottish country dancing

My good Friday started with DJing the Sarah Manley Harvey Annual Easter Egg Hunt at The Carolina Inn for 40 or so children from Orange County and their families.  I was truly honored to be part of such a wonderful event and cause!  The kids got to hunt for Easter eggs outside and then come back in for lunch, face painting, balloon animals and pics with the Easter Bunny.  After dancing to “the bunny hop” and a bite to eat, the event wound down and it was on to the Old Well Room to set up for Kara & Graham’s reception.

After having such a wonderful time at the Easter egg hunt, I was really looking forward to continuing with Kara & Graham’s reception that I knew was going to be a blast!  I was thrilled to be working with Tiffany & Kristen from The Inn, wedding planner Angie Wright from Chic Details, photographers Brian Mullins & Jenn Aan & videographers Phil & Jess from Twenty-One Films.

After a beautiful ceremony outside with minister Robin Renteria, guests made their way to the hallway in front of The Old Well Room for cocktails with live music by a string trio.  The doors to the ballroom soon opened and the 100 guests found their seats.  I left music playing and went to get Kara & Graham ready for their introduction with help from Angie.  They came into the room to thunderous applause to “Marry You” by Bruno Mars.  They took their seats and Kara’s parents welcomed everyone followed by toasts by Graham and his best man, Colin.  The salads and entrée’s came out and I played a mix of rock, country & Scottish pop during dinner.  Graham is Scottish.

After dinner they had a small cake to cut while I played “How Sweet It Is” and then went into their dances.  Kara & Graham’s first dance was to “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran, Kara danced with her father to “My Girl” and Graham and his mother danced to “Letters From America” by Scottish duo The Proclaimers.  The gelato bar opened and I opened the floor to everyone with “Build Me Up Buttercup”.  I was a little nervous with that many Scottish people in the room, but it packed the dance floor with all of the singing along to it.

After about an hour of dancing to oldies, current dance hits and some 80’s we paused for the bouquet toss to “Single Ladies”, a performance by Kara’s sorority sisters and then a trio of Scottish country dancing songs that was awesome!!!  The floor stayed packed all night until the last dance to “Don’t Stop Believin’”. But, I had to play “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by The Proclaimers one more time.  I couldn’t believe the reaction this song got!  Both times!!


After that, guests made their way to the front of The Inn for a bubble exit.  This was one of the most fun days I have had DJing ever.  Thank you Kara, Graham, Angie, Kristen & Tiffany…and Easter Bunny!!

2 comments: