Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Alicia & Randy’s (not me) wedding at The Umstead on March 20th


In my 32 years as a professional DJ, this was one of the smallest and most fun weddings I have DJ’d.  Alicia and Randy had their ceremony in the back lawn of The Umstead overlooking a pond.  There were only 20 guests at their wedding, but they had the fun of 100!   After their short ceremony was over, guests made their way to the cocktail hour in the hall in front of the reception room.  I had a mix of soft rock, country, standards and classic soul playing as hors d’oeuvres were passed.

The doors to the room opened and guests made their way to one of four tables.  I introduced Alicia and Randy (who is a Navy Chief!) into the room to “Danger Zone” from Top Gun (get it??)  and they came in and right to the floor for their first dance to “Moonlight Serenade” by Glen Miller.  This is one of my favorite big band songs BTW.  Randy’s sister-in-law then sang an amazing version of “The National Anthem” and the individually served soup, salad and entrée’s came out.  For dinner I continued the same mix as cocktails.

After dinner we had the cake cutting to “Lovely Day” by Bill Withers (another of my favorite songs ever).  I knew this crowd was ready to dance and I wanted to make sure I utilized photographer Michael Moss’s time so filled the floor on the first song with “We Are Family” and then mixed into “Celebration”.  This small crown danced for the next 3 hours without 1 line dance!  I couldn’t believe it!  I played lots of oldies, 70’s, 80’s, current top 40 and even some club music for Alicia’s sister and her husband.


I ended the night with surprises for Randy and Alicia.  For Randy I played the Oklahoma fight song and followed that up with Notre Dame’s fight song for Alicia, then ended the night with Semisonic’s “Closing Time”.  What a fun night and I was honored to be their DJ!  Congratulations Alicia and Randy and thank you for your service to our country Randy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment